Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Phlebotomy = Sadness


One thing that SUCKS about going into the medical field is phlebotomy. I don't plan on ever having to draw blood from any of my patients once I am on the job. I plan on working were they have a expert staff of phlebotomist that will do all of that for me...I will watch...I will assist...I will hold the patients hand...but PLEASE don't ask me to poke anyone!!! Unfortunately they won't let me out without doing at least a little of it.

I had a successful venipuncture performed on me today by my very skilled and competent lab partner...he on the other hand had a VERY unsuccessful venipuncture performed on him today by a very nervous, shaky, sweaty, sad, not entirely skilled, somewhat competent lab partner...YES...me!!

It was the first time either of us had "poked" a live "patient" (read victim)...I left feeling a little (read a lot) discouraged. It is a good thing my lab partner, and all of my class mates for that matter are very supportive and willing to let me (read the not so skilled one) poke them next week and every week until I become skilled...or skilled enough anyway?!?!

No comments: