Wednesday, October 22, 2008

out of the mouths of babes...

The girls had church tonight, and when I went to pick them up Haidyn was still waiting in line to say her verse. While we were waiting I asked her what verse she was going to say this time, and she declared that she was going to say the books for the Bible, just the Old Testament. I was impressed, because we have not worked on those in a while...but she was going to try. And try she did, she was really on a roll...until somewhere in the middle when Job became Joel and there were a few extra Ezekiel's thrown in for good measure. With a little help from the three of us moms standing around, who discovered that it really isn't as easy as it looks, especially when you are being thrown off by the extra Ezekiel's, heck I was even surprised to re-learn that Jonah is a book of the Bible...I was content to think that his "claim to fame" was the whole whale thing?!?

Anyway...I discovered that Haidyn has a grasp on the first and last thirds of the books of the Old Testament...but the middle third gives her a run for her money.

So...we will be working on that every night this week.

And...while going through the books of the Bible I was brought back to my Sunday School days...I don't know what grade it was...maybe 3rd? I had Mrs. Meyer as my teacher and as incentive to learn the books of the Old and New Testament she offered anyone who could memorize them a crisp two dollar bill. On the way home from church tonight I decided to do the same for my girls. Two dollar bills are cool, and if it gets them excited about memorizing, I think my budget can afford two dollars here and there.

Now...on to the cutest part of this whole story. After we got home and practiced the books of the Old Testament for about 15 minutes I carried Haidyn up to bed and as I was tucking her in she says..."the Old Testament was the New Testament before the New Testament...Right?".

Makes sense! Something can't be old unless at some point it was new...Right?

The kid cracks me up.

Now...I think I better go dig into the book of Jonah...it can't be a good thing when one just completely forgets about the existence of a whole book of the Bible...although in my defence...it is a very small book!

No comments: