Tuesday, May 20, 2008

single mother and gas prices and memorial day...OH MY!!

Yep...I am a single mother again (for the next few weeks anyway). Cam is out of town for the week. He will return for the long holiday weekend and then leave again for 11 day. That will honestly be the longest we've ever been apart since we've been married (insert tears). I am trying to look at the bright side...we rarely fight when he is working out of town...A) because we hardly see each other, usually only on the weekends and B) we're just so happy to see each other it's hard to think of anything to fight about, and with so many people in this "wonderful" state unable to find work...we find it hard to complain about a steady paycheck...even when it means zero time together. So...I bite my lip and buck up and do the single mom thing like a champ! It is rather fulfilling to know that I can do all the "women" jobs and all the "man" jobs by myself...I'm not saying that I like it...because I would not wish for it to continue this way...AT ALL!! Another positive thing...I appreciate Cam 100% more than ever before when he returns from these out of town jobs...mowing the lawn ranks right up there with laundry in my book!! So say a little prayer for us in the coming weeks...while it is hard for us here without him...I know that it is equally hard for him to be away from us for so long.

Now...on to gas prices...ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! I am so glad that I got gas this evening (oh, he! he! just read what I wrote...I'm easily amused OK?) But...seriously. I should have filled the tank all the way up...because when I got home a friend called to inform me that by the weekend the price will be over $4...like $4.11 or something!! Isn't it convenient that there is a holiday right around the corner??? Who can afford to leave the house any more?? I could really jump up on my soap box right now...but because this is a G rated blog and this type of subject can really get me all vein poppy and stuff...I'll leave you to ponder the gas price crisis alone!

And...let's not forget Memorial Day! Can it truly even be here already?? Does it not seem like the kids just went back to school, and here we are 16 days...and counting until summer vacation begins!!! UNREAL!! When Cam returns from out of town...the girls will be done with school!! It truly is sick how time flies!

While we are hoping to head up north for the weekend...if the gas prices go up as predicted...we may need to rethink that plan. At 200+ miles round trip and the estimated $4.11/gallon gas prices...it would be an extra $55 over the just sitting home route?!?! I guess we'll wait and see!

So...have a great week...enjoy the holiday, wherever you end up spending it...and if the gas priced depress you...just think about the alternatives...a peddley bike or a horse, or your own two feet, or you could just stay at home! (see it could be worse, just a little bit)!

No comments: